Tuesday, April 28, 2009

OCHEC

I attended the OCHEC Conference with three of my daughters this past weekend.  I plan to blog in the days to come about each of the sessions I attended.  Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat on the day we left, so I felt rotten and had very little energy.  Therefore, I only heard a few sessions.  

The venue (Hamilton Convention Centre) was clean and the event was well-organized.  There was fresh water available in GLASSES with ICE - a real plus for someone with a sore throat.  The bathrooms were spacious and clean.  OCHEC reps were helpful and polite.  I have no complaints at all about the administration of the conference.  

The vendor hall was smaller than I'd imagined.  Some of the specific curriculum I was interested in wasn't available at any vendor's table.  I was surprised about that.  There was a good variety of curriculum, teaching aids, etc., available, and the vendors were polite and not too pushy.  If I have any major purchases to make, I'll go to the Learning House.  It's local, and I've known the House family for years.  It wouldn't do to go elsewhere.



I'll blog about the speakers I heard, but to finish off this post, I have to mention the Soenen Sisters.  These four young women used instruments and their voices to bless the people.  They have a talent that sent chills up my spine and put goosebumps on my arms.  What a blessing it was to listen to them.  Linda bought one of their cd's, and we listened to it on the way home.

All in all, the OCHEC Conference was an encouragement to me this year.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy it despite illness. I haven't had strep throat since the 9th grade when I got it 3 times in a row. I was so sick I ended up losing 15lbs. and I wasn't quite 110lbs. at the time. I'm amazed you could do anything! And I hope you're feeling better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three times in a ROW??? That would have been horrible! Every swallow is torture the first couple of days, so it's no wonder you lost 15 lbs. I could stand to lose some weight. Hmmm, maybe I'll get on the scale tomorrow morning!

    I am feeling a little better, but not quite up to par. Hopefully soon.

    My hubby's uncle died today, so we're heading to a funeral on Thursday. We'll be gone overnight, so I do hope that I'll get a good rest tonight and tomorrow night, so I will be able to cope with all that hand-shaking and jaw-wagging that goes on at these family gatherings.

    How is your mother? I remember there was surgery, but I don't think I have read an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of the speakers even with that throat. I don't think that would be a choice way to diet though ;o)

    So sorry to here about your losing a family member, too. Hopefully, you are feeling up to the family gathering.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.