Friday, April 3, 2009

Poetry in my Soul

I do.  I admit it.  I have poetry in my soul.

I love to read poetry.  I ponder it, meditate on it, memorize it, enjoy it.  

God loves poetry, too.  Just read the following verses from Ecclesiastes:


A Time for Everything

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

 2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
 4 a time to  weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
 5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to  gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
 6 a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
 7 a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
 8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.


The Bible is full of poetry.  Say the following verses out loud, and listen to the "beat" (the meter).  


23 Thus says the Lord“Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth.For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”

I am thankful for others who have poetry in their soul.  I am not alone in my love of words, chosen carefully, joined together to paint a picture that resonates within.  Ann Voskamp has poetry in her soul.  She just wrote about her farmer Dad, whose very being is poetry.  Tilling the earth has rhyme and reason, times and seasons.  Watching the shoots poke out of the hard sod, stubbornly seeking the life of the Light-that-shines-by-day is experiencing living poetry.  Old farmers understand.

Jacqueline also understands that understanding poetry is good for the mind, so she started a new blog for Canadian Homeschoolers, CHEBC NATIONAL POETRY BLOG.

Go and visit.  Know that every good and perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights.  

And that includes poetry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.