Thursday, August 27, 2009

Of First Importance

I wonder if some of my readers sometimes ponder why I called my blog "Exulting in the Cross". Why would anyone exult (rejoice with praise; to show or feel a lively or triumphant joy; rejoice exceedingly; be highly elated or jubilant) in something as brutal as the cross? It was a place of torture, of rejection, of pain and anguish. Jesus, who never sinned, suffered there, His face marred more than any man. Why would I exult in that?

Because it's important. Not just important, but very important; of first importance!

It's important because Jesus took MY punishment for ME. He took my sin, and gave me His righteousness. He took the Wrath of God that was directed at me, and presents me spotless before the throne.

That's what Substitutionary Atonement is all about.

When I consider my life - my thoughts, words and deeds- and compare it to what God requires -pure, spotless righteousness- I know that I am lost and undone. I cannot stand before a Holy God. I cannot even approach His mountain. Not on my own. Not with my own righteousnesses, which are filthy rags in God's sight.

Yet because Jesus was willing to take my sins upon Him, and take the punishment I deserved, and exchange my filthiness for His spotlessness, I can not only know God, but love Him as my Father. I can serve Him in this life, knowing that Jesus is my mediator, Who stands before God, reminding Him that He already paid for that gossip, that snide remark, that pang of jealousy that plagues my heart.

So, I rejoice in the cross. I delight in the cross. I exult in the Cross of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I can honestly say I never questioned the name of your blog - and you very aptly described the reason I took it as a given that the name was chosen. It is your clarity in expressing your faith that keeps me reading here! That...and I love the baby stories, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you for your comments. You are an encouragement to me to keep on posting. I get busy and neglect this blog from time to time, but it is my heart's desire to communicate the truth of how wonderful God is to the world. You, in part, keep me going!

    And keep on checking for baby stories. Although no one is currently expecting (that I know of) I am certain there'll be more in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.