Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Believe it!

Lord, I believe! Help thou mine unbelief!

I was reading the first chapter of Luke this morning. Mary believed the angel when he told her that she would conceive and bear a son, even though she had never known a man in the Biblical sense. Zechariah did not believe the angel who appeared to him to tell him that his wife Elizabeth would conceive and bear a son. Mary was blessed by her belief. Zechariah suffered being mute because of his unbelief.


Luke 1:18 And Zechariah said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.” 19 And the angel answered him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. 20 And behold, you will be silent and unable to speak until the day that these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time.”

Luke 1:41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted to me that the mother of w my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

Mary was blessed by her belief.

But Zechariah was blessed, too, in spite of his unbelief. He was able to watch his beloved wife Elizabeth grow "great with child". He saw the joy in her face as her reproach was removed from among the members of the community. He didn't believe, right then, when the angel spoke...but God blessed him anyway.

It is a blessing to me to realize that even when Christians don't always agree when there are decisions to make regarding ministry, God still will bless us. Even when some believe that we should move forward, and some insist that it would not be wise, God will work the whole thing out for His own glory, and for the good of His people!

Mary believed. Zechariah did not. And God blessed both of them.

I also was reading the last chapter of 2 Corinthians. It occurred to me that if Paul's leadership was questioned, it ought not to surprise the elders and leaders of churches if their leadership is questioned. Don't be discouraged if some of the flock don't jump for joy as you announce some changes. Keep on believing that God is working; He is building His church.

Those of us with eyes of faith can see the Lord working! He will build His church...not the way WE want, maybe, but the way He has planned. Can the clay say to the Potter, where are the handles? God has given us strengths - in teaching, in missions... and He has purposely brought the exact people to each church that can be used for the greater good. He will use us for His glory! We'll be able to see, some day, why He designed it this way.

Have faith. Believe. And where your faith is weak, trust your Father anyway. He will help you. He will bless you. He will prove Himself trustworthy.

Do you believe that?

1 comment:

  1. Wow..has it been that long since I visited here?

    The piece of scripture about God helping our faith is one that I have always appreciated. So many times I have had nagging doubts in my mind. Not really about what God can do in my life - I know He is capable of all. More about why He would care to do anything for my life - if you know what I mean.

    With one beautiful little girl we have been blessed with - and many miscarriages since - I often wonder if He plans to bless us ever again with children. Like Elizabeth, I'm not exactly a kid anymore! Each time the hope of more children comes to an abrupt end, I focus on this short line - 'Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief'
    Peace always follows.

    Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone could survive this world without a soveriegn God!

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.