Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bookaholic

I thought I was bad. I love books. I can't pass the bargain bins at the grocery store when they're full of books. I go straight to the bookshelves at the secondhand store; I do the same at garage sales. I truly love books.

I love all kinds of books. Poetry, of course. Geography, French, Latin, Biology - all kinds of school books. Dictionaries, Encyclopaediae, Atlases, Thesauri - all kinds of Reference books. Fiction, whether children's or adults', as long as they are well-written with a satisfying conclusion.

Above all, I love theology books. Christian literature of all kinds; counselling, expositions, commentaries... things written by pilgrims, by Church Fathers, by historians. I love them all.

Once in a while, I feel a twinge of guilt about my passion for books. After all, I've spent a lot of money over the years accumulating a substantial library. Could the money have been better used to feed the poor or send missionaries to China? I worry about that, from time to time.

And then I see this: Six video tours of the hallowed libraries of contemporary pastors and theologians. My library pales in comparison to those of Ligon Duncan, Albert Mohler, Mark Dever, C.J. Mahaney, John MacArthur, and R.C. Sprou. I'm just a simple, homeschooling mom and granny. My library doesn't have to look like theirs.

What I really loved about the various libraries was the stacks of things to do - whether in a pile or on a shelf, these men have plenty of future projects awaiting. They take joy in their studies, and they love their books, even the old, first-edition, dusty ones that are freshened up by coffee beans. News flash: coffee beans keep old books smelling fresh and clean!

3 comments:

  1. What fun. I look forward to taking a peek. I had no idea about the coffee beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee beans, eh? I'll have to keep that in mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://curiousexpeditions.org/?p=78

    And then, there's these libraries. Copy and paste the link into your browser. Be prepared to DROOL.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.