Sunday, June 13, 2010

God Sees Everything

Leviticus 6 reads, in part:


If anyone sins... by deceiving his neighbour, or if he has ... found something lost and lied about it, swearing falsely... he shall restore it in full and shall add a fifth to it, and give it to him to whom it belongs on the day he realizes his guilt.


In Leviticus, God establishes the sacrifices He requires for the atonement of sin.  He includes sin offerings, guilt offerings and even an offering for someone who sins inadvertently.  God requires holiness in all of our interactions.

A few days ago, I was shopping at the local dollar store, and I noticed some plaques that would be perfect in my new kitchen (the kitchen I am dreaming about).  They were the right colours (yellow and off-white) and had some nice sayings on them:  "Believe and you will see His Glory", "Love bears all things", "Faith is hope realized",  "With God all things are possible".  They were embellished with flowers and leaves, and I really, really wanted them.


The lady behind the counter told me that they had just come in and wouldn't last long.  "Will you be getting more in?" I asked.  


She replied, "They came in the summer order, and that's it until fall."


I went back and looked at the plaques again.  I picked them up, turning them over, feeling the weight of them.  They were priced at $2.00; except the Faith one.  For some strange reason, it was priced at $2.99.  I thought it must have been a mistake, because the rest of them, exactly the same size and shape and distributing company, were only $2.00.


If I wanted all four of the plaques, I'd have to buy them immediately, I thought.  There were only two left of a couple of them.  I wanted the whole set.


So, I picked them up and took them to the counter.  The lady picked up the first one and checked the price, then rang in four at $2.00 a piece.  


This is where my sin nature reared its ugly head.  I KNEW one of them was $2.99, but I said NOTHING.  I intentionally did not point out the saleslady's error.  I was guilty before God.


It doesn't matter that it was only a dollar.  It doesn't matter that it was likely priced in error.  I should have pointed it out.  


I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to tell the truth, but I quickly dismissed the nagging guilt.  I paid my $8.00 plus tax, and left the store.  I haven't felt right since.


We Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, who reveals the truth to us.  He leads us and guides us, helps us and prompts us to do right, and makes us aware of the sin that so easily entangles us.  I grieved the Holy Spirit for the sake of one measly dollar.


Today, in church, I felt completely convicted of my sin.  As we approached the Lord's Table, I was reminded that Jesus Christ gave His body and shed His blood to make atonement for my sin. I poured out my soul in confession to God, thanking Him for covering all of my sin, even this.  I realized again my need of a Saviour, because I cannot be righteous on my own.  


Tomorrow I will head to town and speak to the Dollar Store lady.  I will tell her the truth and offer to pay that 99 cents plus tax.  


If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9
Tonight, I will sleep like a baby, knowing once again that I am a sinner, saved by the grace of God.  I will bask in His forgiveness, and thank Him for His grace.



3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how bothered we can be by a 'measly' 99 cents.

    You were going to show me those plaques! They sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I should shun you;p

    The plaques are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Holy Spirit shouldn't be ignored, it's too painful.

    Glad you are honest in sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.