Saturday, September 25, 2010

That's What the Promise is For



It's been nearly 37 years since I stood, as an 18 year old bride, at the altar of the massive Anglican church in Stratford, and made a promise that was reciprocated by my 22 year old groom.  Thirty-seven years of dancing in the minefields, reflecting the Son of God to each other.

I am thankful that God has held us together, and that Rick has reminded me time and again that he loves me.  He doesn't so much remind me with words, but by being there, day after day, week after week, month after month.  He gets up in the dark and heads out to a cold truck to bring home the bacon.  He says to the kids, "Where's your mother?" and I know he wants me to just come and sit with him at the end of a long day.  Companionship is more important to him than communication - which is more important to me. 

But we keep dancing.

In the minefields of life.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. And yes, marriage is like being in a minefield. But it's not so bad when you're in it together.

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.