Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Where the rubber meets the road.

Yesterday I wrote about the story of Ahab and Jehoshaphat and Micaiah.  There were so many lessons in that story, but the one that jumps out at me is God's Sovereignty over the length of our days.  Whether we're thrown in prison like Micaiah was, or whether we're disguised out of fear of death, or wearing royal robes so we're the target of the enemy, we simply will not die unless it is our time, ordained by God.


NOTHING happens to us that is outside of the will of God.


I know this.


Yet this morning I forgot all about it.


My daughter Linda works at Carey Outreach Ministries three days per week.  (She loves her work - writing theological books as a ghostwriter for the Pastor.)  Anyway, the drive is long and somewhat dangerous.  She starts out with country roads that are icy and snowy this time of year, and heads into rush hour traffic for a bit of time on the 401.  I always look for the little green dot in Google chat that lets me know she arrived safely at her destination.  


This morning, the dot didn't appear.


I wasn't worried.  I prayed, committing her to the Lord, reminding myself (And HIM) that He who protected Jehoshaphat even when 32 captains were attacking can certainly protect my daughter.  I had peace for a time.


But the minutes ticked by.  Every time I walked by the computer, I check for that little green dot.  Sigh.  Not there.


I had to run out to mail something for Rick.  My stomach was in knots.  What if I missed  a call?  What if she ended up in a ditch?  What if someone called while I was out, and I missed the call?


I couldn't stand the suspense.  Picked up the phone and called Pastor Bob.


"Oh, yes, dear... Linda's here."  Relief.


She'd been working away, and didn't bother opening her email.


Silly me.  What was that I read yesterday?  God is Sovereign over the hour of our death, over every step we take, over every breath we breathe.  


How about you?  Do you read the Word to strengthen yourself, then walk away and start to worry?  Silly you.  Don't you know that God works ALL things together for good to those who love Him?


I know it.


And I was reminded today that I ought to live like I know it.  




Hebrews 11: 1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and  that he rewards those who seek him.

3 comments:

  1. Yep.

    Now Linda, SIGN IN TO GMAIL!!

    Give your Mommy some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Linda, if all it takes is a little green dot... then DO IT! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.