Thursday, November 10, 2011

Adjustment

I've really been enjoying the book, Abiding in Christ, by Andrew Murray.  You can read the original version of the book online here.

The biggest benefit to me is that I have learned how to abide more faithfully, more deeply, and more consistently.  I have learned what it is to die to self, and to acknowledge the depravity of my heart and the neediness of my soul.  I am never able to live the Christian life in a godly manner on my own steam, and I know it.  I also know that Christ lives in me, and He is able to keep me and use me for His own glory.

So, in all of my learning and leaning on Christ, I began to feel sorry for those who do not yet know what it is to abide in Christ.  And in so doing, I became a bit smug, and a wee bit "holier than thou".

So, God smacked me a bit with a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day.  My pain level was high from the gardening I did the other day.  I received a notice in the mail that my chiropractic assessment did not go as I desired, so I will receive no more compensation for chiropractic adjustments at this time.  I had a run-in with a couple of my kids, and I worried a lot about my husband, who is wearing a monitor to figure out what is going on with his heart.  Bills came in the mail and the phone rang with people looking for their money.  Physical pain, relational pain, marital pain, financial pain... all rolled into one day.

The good news?  It drove me to my God.  It reminded me that I only live a godly life when I am resting in Jesus, moment by moment, day by day.



But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.         2 Corinthians 12:9-10                                                               

I am content to know that I am weak, for the grace of my God is sufficient for me.  I am content with insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities, for I know that Christ is in me and is working through me for His own glory.

  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.~2 Corinthians 13:14 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the loss of chiropractor compensation, until that is rectified I'll pray for Gods healing palm to be on you, as always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Janet! Sorry for all of that:( Praying for you in all that is in your midst~

    ReplyDelete

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.