Saturday, January 21, 2012

Abiding in Christ - Day 30 - The Guarantee

This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant. ~Hebrews 7:22

The Old Covenant did not secure its objective - to unite Israel and God.  The New Covenant would need to secure God's faithfulness to His people, and His people's faithfulness to God.


 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second. For he finds fault with them when he says: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,  when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel  and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. For they did not continue in my covenant,  and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel  after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds,  and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God,  and they shall be my people. ~Hebrews 8:7-10  

JESUS IS THE GUARANTOR!

To man,

 " He became the guarantee that God would faithfully fulfill His part, so that man could confidently depend on God to pardon, accept , and never again forsake them." (p. 181)

To God

"He likewise became the guarantee that man would faithfully fulfill his part, so that God would bestow on him the blessing of the covenant."

Jeremiah 32:40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me.

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and YOU WILL KEEP My judgments and do them (Ezekiel 36:27)

It is God Who keeps the covenant! God stands for Good for both parts!

Jesus is our Melchizedek (He ever lives to make intercession for His people)!  He takes no breaks.  There is never a moment's interruption.  Jesus lives to pray for us and to bless us.  He cannot be unfaithful!

To abide moment by moment is easy, even simple.

"Each moment of CONSCIOUS COMMUNION with Him let us say, "Jesus, our guarantor, keeper, ever-living Saviour, in whose life I live, I abide in You."


"Each moment of need, darkness, or fear, we still say, Great High Priest, in the power of an endless, unchangeable life, I abide in You.


"And for the moments when direct and distinct communion with Him must give way to necessary earthly activities, we can TRUST HIM to be our GUARANTEE!" (p.185)



Lord Jesus, my Great High Priest, what joy and awe is mine when I consider that Your work in heaven is to continually intercede for Your people. You cannot be unfaithful, yet You love and pray for and bless a fickle lot. We ought to be strong and courageous, to never waver, to go forth boldly and to serve You without fear all the days of our lives - yet we 

     mumble and grumble     we are lazy and apathetic     we are self-indulgent and greedy     and we want our own way. 

We are fearful and worried
          and we refuse to open our mouths to sing Your praises, to shout it to the housetops
          that You are the Covenant Keeper - that You never fail. 

Thank You for keeping me
     for praying for me     for blessing me with good things     for blessing me with trials. 

Thank You for ordering my steps           and giving me work to do that matters, in time and for eternity.

Keep me, O Guarantor!
Keep me safe      and pure     and holy.

I am Yours, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that you will give an account for every word. Respond with wisdom and grace, please.